Niaouli – Melaleuca viridiflora
Australia / Indonesia
Broad leaved Paperbark, Paperbark Tea Tree
fresh leaves and tender twigs
From steam distillation of the leaves and young twigs of the plant (usually rectified to remove irritant aldehydes).
Fresh, lively, sharp, camphoraceous, slightly disinfectant smell with woody undertones
Blends Well With
Niaouli blends well with coriander, fennel, juniper, lavender, lime, pine, and peppermint.
Creates a lively and business-like feeling. Cleansing, uplifting – a fresh air feel.
Niaouli is used in hospitals in France as an antiseptic in obstetrics and gynaecology. The pain-relieving property of this oil makes it a very good analgesic, effective in relieving headaches, migraines, toothaches, earaches, and muscle and joint pain, as well as pain due to sprains. It stimulates the circulation of the blood and lymph, helping to provide relief from rheumatism, arthritis, and gout. It is recognised for its beneficial effects on skin ulcers from Lymphoedema. Niaouli, can inhibit bacterial growth in the urogenital tracts, colon, prostrate, intestines, and kidney and gives good protection against sepsis, tetanus, and infections of the other internal organs. This oil promotes growth and boosts health by promoting proper absorption and distribution of nutrients in the body. It also increases strength.
- Diluted to 3% or less in a carrier oil it is used in chest rubs as it can be beneficial for respiratory problems (not late at night as it is stimulating). Effective in relieving headaches, migraines, toothaches, earaches, and muscle and joint pain
- In water – used to clean minor wounds – add 5/6 drops of Niaouli to 250mls of boiled and cooled water and apply directly to the affected area.
- In a diffuser, Niaouli loosens up phlegm or catarrh giving relief from congestion in the chest.
- Niaouli helps reduce fevers by fighting the infections and by promoting sweat.
GRAS (Generally regarded as safe)
(E)-Nerolidol, Linalool, α–Pinene, Terpinen-4-ol, Viridiflorol, β–Caryophyllene
- Essential oils can be powerful so to avoid all risks do not use during pregnancy.
- Keep away from clothing or articles which may be affected by oil-based products.
- Use sparingly and no more than 4 times per day.
- Gluten, peanut and dairy free.
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- If you are using existing medication, please consult your doctor before using any complementary products and check for pharmaceutical interactions by accessing this page https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions.html
- The information provided in these areas are for educational purposes only. Do not consider this information to be accurate or complete.
- We do not offer this information to diagnose or cure any disease or ailment, and it does not constitute medical advice of any kind.