Manuka – Leptospermum scoparium
Top to Middle
Leaves and seeds.
Refreshment and general good health
Woody, cedar like smell that is much warmer than Tea tree.
Blends Well With
Lavandin, Lavender, Clary-sage, Rosemary, Oak moss, Pine, Cananga, Geranium, Marjoram and spice oils particularly clove and nutmeg.
For centuries, New Zealand Maori have used Manuka Oil to treat everything from rheumatism and fevers to burns and skin disorders. Infusions and poultices were made from the leaves and inner bark and the seed capsules and sap were chewed. Early European migrants produced a tea from Manuka leaves for refreshment and health.
Manuka Oil is up to 33 times stronger than Tea Tree essential oil for protecting against certain strains of bacteria in particular the MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staph. Aureus) bacteria, which is resistant to normal antibiotics.
Use where a more pleasant rather than medicinal smell is appropriate – good to use where long term treatment is required.
Insecticidal – insect repellent good for insect bites and stings.
Anti-viral and anti-fungal, highly bactericidal across a wide spectrum, Manuka oil combats skin irritation and infections, including acne-causing bacteria.
The Manuka tree also produces a nectar that the bees turn into a rich amber honey. This is also known for its curative properties.
- Use a few drops in the bath as a pick-me-up for winter blues.
- For dry or sensitive skin blend in a 1%-2% dilution with avocado or jojoba. For oily skin use the same dilution in Sweet Almond or Rose Hip carrier oil.
- Use in a diffuser for a pick me up or to relieve SAD.
It is also a good mood-lifter. For example, why not try adding a few drops to your bath as a pick-me-up for those winter blues.
GRAS (generally regarded as safe)
Caryophyllene, Geraniol, Pinene, Linalol, Humulene, Leptospermone
- Essential oils can be powerful so to avoid all risks do not use during pregnancy.
- Keep away from clothing or articles which may be affected by oil-based products.
- Use sparingly and no more than 4 times per day.
- Gluten, peanut and dairy free.
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- If you are using existing medication, please consult your doctor before using any complementary products and check for pharmaceutical interactions by accessing this page https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions.html.
- The information provided in these areas are for educational purposes only.
- Do not consider this information to be accurate or complete.
- We do not offer this information to diagnose or cure any disease or ailment, and it does not constitute medical advice of any kind.