CAUTION – Pennyroyal – Mentha pulegium
Pennyroyal essential oil has a scent very similar to peppermint, sweet and herbaceous
Blends Well With
Does not blend well with other oils
The herb and oil were traditionally used to strengthen the nerves, being valuable in hysteric disorders, nervous exhaustion and externally applied for neuralgia. Pennyroyal has a long traditional use as a carminative, diaphoretic, stimulant and as an emmenagogue.
The numbing effect of this oil on the nerves, as well as its cordial and stimulating effects on the blood circulation, make it an ideal combination as an anti-rheumatic and anti-arthritic treatment. It promotes the removal of toxins like uric acid from the body, thereby eradicating the biggest cause behind rheumatism. Its cordial or warming effect heats up the affected area and gives a more comfortable feeling.
Finally, its stimulating effect on blood circulation increases blood flow to important organ systems, and brings warmth to the affected places, while also curing them of rheumatism and arthritis.
Diluted to 0.25% or less in a carrier oil it can be combined with other oils to ease the pain of arthritis and rheumatism.
Those who suffer from hysteria and undergo sudden hysteric attacks such as convulsions, unconscious violent behaviour, and fainting always run the risk of losing their lives. Pennyroyal, due to its effects on the nerves and brain, helps to control these attacks and is particularly useful in hysterical fainting.
- Pennyroyal has high pulegone content. It is not used in aromatherapy, as inhalation even in small quantities can seriously damage the lungs, the respiratory tracts, and the liver.
- It is an abortifacient, Extreme caution in handling is needed. Furthermore, although several medicinal properties of this oil are described, most of them are reported to have been in use traditionally and their authenticity is not guaranteed. There are no adequate research studies except for its toxic, insect repelling, and abortifacient properties. So, the utmost care should be taken while using this oil.
- Never use during pregnancy. Never use on or near children. Never ingest. Never inhale directly from the bottle.
Isomenthone, Neomenthone, Menthone and a high Pulegone content which is toxic
- Essential oils can be powerful so to avoid all risks do not use during pregnancy.
- Keep away from clothing or articles which may be affected by oil-based products.
- Use sparingly and no more than 4 times per day.
- Gluten, peanut and dairy free.
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- If you are using existing medication, please consult your doctor before using any complementary products and check for pharmaceutical interactions by accessing this page https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions.html
- The information provided in these areas are for educational purposes only. Do not consider this information to be accurate or complete.
- We do not offer this information to diagnose or cure any disease or ailment, and it does not constitute medical advice of any kind.